Our breeding objectives can be summarised into key areas which underpin the management of our stud and are the key selection criteria for our females. These objectives are also the attributes our bulls must deliver to their progeny.
- Structural Correctness
- Early Maturity
- Calm Temperament
- Milking Ability
- Weight Gains
- Polled Herd
These strict benchmarks have enabled our stud to grow to where it is today and helped develop a productive and fertile female herd. We are constantly exploring ways to improve our stud herd and whilst we are pleased with our achievements to date, we are in no way complacent. Our reputation is extremely important to us and underpins our commitment to breeding proven, productive, robust Simmental cattle that are bred to perform in all climates and situations.
A Few Facts on the Wormbete Programme
- Our stud has a successful polled focus without compromising on quality and breeding standards. This has been a long term goal for the stud as we recognise the increasing demand for polled cattle in the beef industry. We DNA our bulls and females for the prescence of the polled gene and breed accordingly.
- Our stud cattle are run under the same conditions as our commercial herd which allows us to observe and ensure first hand the ability of our cattle to perform. We believe that managing our cattle this way prepares them for a wide range of environmental and management demands and ensures their longevity and adaptability.
- The health of our stud is extremely important with all cattle routinely vaccinated with 7in1 and Pestigard, and tested negative for Pestivirus.
- We follow what we believe in: sound structure and great temperaments are fundamental as are the maternal qualities and carcase attributes of our herd and its progeny.
- We annually AI a portion of our female herd utilising a range of elite international and in-herd genetics.
- All sale bulls and females, in addition to all replacement heifers are Breedplan recorded and undergo a fully accredited independent structural and temperament assessment.